develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2007

Re: New release ?

From:
Adam Kennedy
Date:
January 6, 2007 19:15
Re: New release ?
Message ID:
20070107031455.29721.qmail@lists.develooper.com
I have two items left pre-5.10.0.

Firstly, replacing that mishmash of Module::Load Module::Loaded etc with
some sort of Package::Util module that links to the Perl internals for
things like class->filename etc

SO many people have duplicated that stuff all over the place, me included.

I can't write the XS stuff, but I'd like at some point to do the API
design and write some Perl versions.

Secondly, and more critical I would REALLY like to address the toolchain
upgrade problem.

The basic problem is that if a bug is discovered or new features appear
in a toolchain module, the toolchain does not know how to fix itself.

That is, we either rely on every end-user upgrading (Module::Build
style) or we rely on every author upgrading (Module::Install style).

This was bad enough with just CPAN.pm and ExtUtils::MakeMaker, but with
CPANPLUS and Module::Build in the core it's going to get out of control.

I think that whatever toolchain modules we put in the core MUST be able
to self-upgrade so that in 2 or 3 years time you will actually be able
to sit down at a 5.10.0 box and say "install Module::Foo" and it will
Just Work.

Now, exactly how to do it?

I'd suggest that at the very least the version of CPAN and CPANPLUS in
the core need to be able to be instructed from the server if there are
new critical compulsory upgrades, for a limited set of modules.

How exactly? I'm not sure, but a simple config file with a list of
minimum recommended and/or compulsory toolchain versions held in the
CPAN somewhere would help a lot.

CPAN(PLUS) could pull this file, check the local toolchain against the
list, and upgrade itself before it starts installing modules.

Without the ability to upgrade, we're left with relying on every user or
every author to both be smart, and remember to do the right thing.

Adam K