develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2006

How to find "the cpan bugtracker"

From:
Christian Jaeger
Date:
September 26, 2006 08:24
Subject:
How to find "the cpan bugtracker"
Message ID:
p0432046ec13eefcf6a69@[192.168.40.11]
Hello

Short story: I suggest that

- http://bugs.perl.org should (instead of redirecting to
http://rt.perl.org/perlbug/) show a page which lists/links all three
bug areas (perl5 core, perl6, cpan).

- the CPAN section on the http://www.perl.org/ page should have a
link to http://rt.cpan.org

- http://cpan.perl.org/ should have a link "Bugs" to
http://rt.cpan.org (and maybe also one (e.g. "other CPAN archive"?)
to cpan.org--what's the difference between the two, btw?)

- http://cpan.org should have a link "Bugs" to http://rt.cpan.org

Full story:

I sometimes find it difficult to find things on official project
websites (Debian is not always that easy, but Perl is worse). But
I've learnt some essential url's by heart. One of them is
"search.cpan.org". Less frequently than this, I need to lookup bugs,
mostly in modules, not the core. For Debian, I know
"packages.debian.org" and "bugs.debian.org".

So today I wanted to look up bugs for Spreadsheet::Excel, and I knew
there's quite a good central bug tracking system. Where would I go
look for it?

Trying:

* bug.perl.org (ok no problem, just doesn't exist),

* bugs.perl.org:
   Okay. But then wondering about where the fulltext or package name
search field is.. there's only
   "Guest Access
     * Current Perl 5 Issues
     * Open Ticket Overview
     * [____] [Goto ticket]"
So I clicked both links (btw got the warning 'You are about to log
into the site "rt.perl.org" with the username "guest," but the
website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to
trick you.' from Galeon), realized that it's about perl5 core only.

* next try: cpan.perl.org (but see nothing)

* then remembered that it was "search.cpan.org" thus it's probably
something on: cpan.org; but I see nothing either, click on "Perl
FAQ", search for "bug", find "Where do I send bug reports?", but it's
not linked, yes, I realize it's the perldoc page, I have a feeling
that this one might be too old to list a valid url to the (relatively
new) bugtracker, and I think this is too hard, so I stop searching
and look for people.

* I join #perl on irc.perl.org and ask for the url. I remember that
it has been the same the last time I wanted to look for bug reports.
Someone tells me to see at http://rt.cpan.org, which is perfect.
Someone else asks me whether I'm daft, since every cpan package has
it's own link into the RT; hm ok, maybe, and that's nice (I mean the
link from every package), but that wasn't the way my brain worked.
(Note that I'm using the commandline CPAN utility for checking for
new versions, I like that better than looking on the cpan website; so
since I already knew I had the newest version, I had no reason
visiting the package itself, I just needed the bug list. In my brain,
cpan itself is a storage of module files, so it didn't occur to me
that I should open the cpan package page. Maybe the CPAN utility
should support searching for bug reports; maybe the new one does
even?)

Thanks for caring,
Christian.