develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2006

Re: Perl on Win98

From:
David
Date:
May 4, 2006 23:33
Re: Perl on Win98
Message ID:
D029FC0B-D4D6-499B-8017-579C4ED0D945@duo-county.com
[As David didn't post this to the list, I've obtained his permission
to do so on his behalf -- DD]

I'm replying personally as I've unsubscribed from the list.  I hope the
address you gave is valid.

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 05:46:36PM +0200, Dominic Dunlop wrote:
> On 2006?04?27, at 04:02, David wrote:
>
>> I hope this is an appropriate list for this question.
>
> Well, it should be, and, as nobody's jumped in ... I try to know as
> little about Win 98 as possible, but:

I was a bit surprised that no one replied.

As far as Windows goes, I don't do much in that myself.  Usually about
all I do there is (or did) was to try to keep a few programs I wrote
workable on Windows.

>> I've searched for
>> answers to this question and haven't found much info.
>>
>> I've compiled Perl 5.8.8 on Win 98 under MinGW, but haven't tried
>> installing it because of the numerous failed tests.  My results are
>> somewhat comparable to what Greg Matheson reported in this (somewhat
>> old) message:
>>    http://www.mail-archive.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg69829.html
>> Failed 83/988 test scripts, 91.60% okay. 5636/116817 subtests failed,
>> 95.18% okay.
>
> If your results are similar to those in the cited message, many of
> the tests you're failing are in perl itself, rather than library or
> external modules. I wouldn't install it myself.

It did seem like quite a lot of failures.  However, in the cited
message, no comment was made as to whether this was acceptable or not.

> What to do? Firstly, please resubmit your post as a bug report -- we
> get automatically nagged if these go unanswered or unresolved. With a
> bit of luck, you might be able to run

Well, I don't know if Win98 would get much consideration.  It's
considered quite outdated although it seems that quite a few people are
still trying to stick with it.  Also, considering that no one even
bothered to respond to my message leads me to think that there might not
be much interest.

> Secondly, you could try the perl-win32-porters list (although the
> perl-win32-porters tend to read perl5-porters too).

I did some searching on that list for Win98 and Win9x but did not see
much that would be applicable to this case.

> Look at the intro
> page first -- http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl-win32-
> porters. The thread starting at http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/
> Message/perl-win32-porters/2293717 seems relevant to me -- even if it
> is about XP.
>
> Finally, (if you haven't already) look at the MinGW mailing list
> archives at http://www.mingw.org/lists.shtml -- "perl win98" as a
> "match all" search term gets several hits --

I have searched there also, with not much luck, although perhaps I used
the wrong criteria.

> although posts like
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=12423682 are
> not encouraging. You might also like to ask for help on those lists.

I'll give those url's a look and see what I can find, although, as you
said, it's not too encouraging regarding Win98.

I probably won't pursue it too aggressively as I'm not too deeply
involved in Windows anyway, and it is definitely not mission-critical
whether I get it installed or not.  I might give ActiveState a try and
see how that works.  They seem to support a Win98 release, and surely it
would be at least half-way usable.

Thanks for the reply.