develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2006

Re: MAD keys?

From:
Larry Wall
Date:
May 4, 2006 08:59
Re: MAD keys?
Message ID:
20060504155846.GA5051@wall.org
On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 10:39:21PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
: On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:23:22PM -0500, Joshua ben Jore wrote:
: > What are the values of mad_key and what do they mean? In grepping
: > through the source I came up with the following but it might not be
: > complete because there's no single place that defines them. I appended
: > my guesses about what goes into each.
: >
: > ^:	???
: > R:	???
: > _:	whitespace
: > X:	some kind of word. Maybe it isn't quoted?
: > =:	some kind of quoted thing.
: > E:	regex match expression
: >
: > q:	start quoted region
: > Q:	end quoted region
: >
: > z:	start regexp replacement marker
: > Z:	end regexp replacement marker
:
: I'm not sure if anyone other than Larry knows the answer.

Hmm, that file seems not to have been included.  Here is my list.

Larry

^	unfilled head spot
,	literal ,
;	literal ; (blank if implicit ; at end of block)
:	literal : from ?: or attr list
+	unary +
?	literal ? from ?:
(	literal (
)	literal )
[	literal [
]	literal ]
{	literal {
}	literal }
@	literal @ sigil
$	literal $ sigil
*	literal * sigil
!	use is source filtered
&	& or sub
#	whitespace/comment following ; or }
#	$# sigil
1	1st ; from for(;;)
1	retired protasis
2	2nd ; from for(;;)
2	retired apodosis
3	C-style for list
a	sub or var attributes
a	non-method arrow operator
A	method arrow operator
A	use import args
b	format block
B	retired stub block
C	constant conditional op
d	declarator
D	do block
e	unreached "else" (see C)
e	expression producing E
E	tr/E/R/, /E/
f	folded constant op
F	peg op for format
i	if/unless modifier
I	if/elsif/unless statement
K	retired kid op
l	last index of array ($#foo)
L	label
m	modifier on regex
M	my assignment slurped into some other operator's target
n	sub or format name
o	current operator/declarator name
o	else/continue
O	generic optimized op
p	peg to hold extra whitespace at statement level
P	peg op for package declaration
q	opening quote
=	quoted material
Q	closing quote
Q	optimized qw//
r	expression producing R
R	tr/E/R/ s/E/R/
R	assign slurped by split
s	sub signature
S	use import stub (no import)
S	retired sort block
t	unreached "then" (see C)
U	use import op
v	private sv of for loop
V	use version
w	while/until modifier
W	while/for statement
x	optimized qw
X	random thing
_	whitespace/comments preceding anything else
~	=~ operator