develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2006

Re: Perl on Win98

From:
Dominic Dunlop
Date:
May 3, 2006 08:47
Re: Perl on Win98
Message ID:
4F9F5B8E-6478-48F8-A027-CEA285D880EF@mac.com
On 2006–04–27, at 04:02, David wrote:

> I hope this is an appropriate list for this question.

Well, it should be, and, as nobody's jumped in ... I try to know as
little about Win 98 as possible, but:

> I've searched for
> answers to this question and haven't found much info.
>
> I've compiled Perl 5.8.8 on Win 98 under MinGW, but haven't tried
> installing it because of the numerous failed tests.  My results are
> somewhat comparable to what Greg Matheson reported in this (somewhat
> old) message:
>     http://www.mail-archive.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg69829.html
> Failed 83/988 test scripts, 91.60% okay. 5636/116817 subtests failed,
> 95.18% okay.

If your results are similar to those in the cited message, many of
the tests you're failing are in perl itself, rather than library or
external modules. I wouldn't install it myself.

What to do? Firstly, please resubmit your post as a bug report -- we
get automatically nagged if these go unanswered or unresolved. With a
bit of luck, you might be able to run

perl -Ilib utils\perlbug

(or whatever way your slashes go) to produce a file in the format
that we prefer, then paste that into mail to perlbug@perl.org. If
that doesn't work try

myconfig  or  sh myconfig

and paste output the output describing your configuration into a free-
form bug report. (Failing all that, simply paste the contents of
myconfig!)

Secondly, you could try the perl-win32-porters list (although the
perl-win32-porters tend to read perl5-porters too). Look at the intro
page first -- http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl-win32-
porters. The thread starting at http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/
Message/perl-win32-porters/2293717 seems relevant to me -- even if it
is about XP.

Finally, (if you haven't already) look at the MinGW mailing list
archives at http://www.mingw.org/lists.shtml -- "perl win98" as a
"match all" search term gets several hits -- although posts like
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=12423682 are
not encouraging. You might also like to ask for help on those lists.
--
Dominic Dunlop