taint and fork on Win32

From:
David Golden
Date:
April 28, 2006 13:21
Subject:
taint and fork on Win32
Message ID:
44527915.4060303@hyperbolic.net
Dear p5p,

I've recently been helping to test out VanillaPerl.  Understanding why
various things break on Win32 has been an entertaining exercise.

The test files for Test::WWW::Mechanize have been crashing hard with a
dialog box: "perl.exe has encountered an error and needs to close".
Carl Franks and I traced the problem to HTTP::Server::Simple calling
fork while running in taint mode:

The problem was isolated and replicated quite simply with this:

   perl -Te "fork"

This is VanillaPerl 5.8.8 (compiled with MinGW) on WinXP SP2.

I searched perlbug and didn't see any obvious bugs along these lines.
Is this a known issue with taint and pseudo-fork?  Something specific to
MinGW and VanillaPerl?  Should I open a new perlbug for it?

Regards,
David Golden