Re: [perl #33734] unpack fails on utf-8 strings

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
April 27, 2006 22:04
Re: [perl #33734] unpack fails on utf-8 strings
Message ID:
4451A26F.8050004@NevCal.com
On approximately 4/27/2006 8:04 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Nicholas Clark:

> I think Ton's semantics as incorporated into 5.9.x are right (or at least a
> heck of a lot less wrong than current) but they change far more than I'm
> comfortable with for maint.

> I don't like this compromise, but it seems less likely to trigger new bugs
> than either keeping the old behaviour, or entirely adopting Ton's changes.

You produced some amazing magic with loadable Regexp work, to get Dave's
Regexp fixes available to maint, without actually changing maint, so
that people using 5.8.x could useh the fixed Regexp if they choose.  I
haven't looked at the detalis of how you did that, and I guess it might
still have some rough edges from the last I've read on the topic....

But it makes me wonder if Ton's un/pack changes could be turned into a
loadable module for maint?

use feature newpack;

(I forget the syntax you used for the new regexp stuff)

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/