Re: [perl #38966] debugger can't breakpoint until module loaded

From:
Albert Cahalan
Date:
April 26, 2006 08:32
Re: [perl #38966] debugger can't breakpoint until module loaded
Message ID:
787b0d920604252238w37406773k796b74ed17ed1488@mail.gmail.com
On 4/25/06, Rafael Garcia-Suarez via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > Unlike gdb debugging C programs, the perl debugger is unable to place
> > breakpoints on things that don't yet exist. By this I mean functions
> > found in libraries that have yet to be loaded. It seems I have to somehow
> > find where the libraries get loaded, breakpoint that, single step, then
> > breakpoint what I want. This is awful, especially when dealing with
> > unfamiliar code.
>
> Doesn't the command "b postpone <subname>" work for you ? (See online
> help by typing "h b" in the debugger)

Oh, OK. With gdb, the debugger just asks. That is nicer behavior.
So consider this bug report as an enhancement request for
gdb-like behavior. I'd rather let the debugger take care of tracking
whether or not "postpone " should be used.

The less the user needs to do, the less needs to be documented.