[perl #38966] debugger can't breakpoint until module loaded

From:
Albert Cahalan
Date:
April 24, 2006 15:53
Subject:
[perl #38966] debugger can't breakpoint until module loaded
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-38966-132609.13.4572654780847@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  "Albert Cahalan"
# Please include the string:  [perl #38966]

I'm trying to debug pidl, the IDL compiler shipped with Samba and Ethereal.
Supposedly you can find it on CPAN.

Unlike gdb debugging C programs, the perl debugger is unable to place
breakpoints on things that don't yet exist. By this I mean functions
found in libraries that have yet to be loaded. It seems I have to somehow
find where the libraries get loaded, breakpoint that, single step, then
breakpoint what I want. This is awful, especially when dealing with
unfamiliar code. Here is the error message:

  DB<9> b Parse::Pidl::Samba4::EJS::EjsPushArray
Subroutine Parse::Pidl::Samba4::EJS::EjsPushArray not found.

The below perlbug data is hacked a bit, since I shouldn't send bug
reports from work. FYI it's an AMD64 running Fedora Core 5.

---
Flags:
    category=
    severity=
---
Site configuration information for perl:

Summary of my perl5 configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=linux, osvers=2.6
  Compiler:
    intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234