Re: Packaging Lamp

From:
Joshua Juran
Date:
April 16, 2006 19:19
Re: Packaging Lamp
Message ID:
47D8F8EB-CAAF-49C3-85F1-1DD79E87A6B6@gmail.com
On Feb 24, 2006, at 5:14 PM, Joshua Juran wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2006, at 7:03 PM, S├ębastien Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:
>
>> Joshua Juran wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still trying to figure out how to
>>> package the damn thing.  The process must be programmatic (not GUI-
>>> driven) and preferably would use an open format, but after trying to
>>> compile GNU tar I'm ready to just use (or say) StuffIt and be done
>>> with it.  For now, at least.
>>
>> Maybe it's a stupid question, but if there's no resource fork
>> to bundle, why not use Archive::Tar or Archive::Zip?
>
> There are resource forks, but I have a MacBinary encoder to deal
> with that, so a unix archiver is fine.
>
> Currently I'm only building miniperl, so IO::File isn't available
> (which explains some of the errors in the tests).  But I was able
> to use a core-modules-only tar from PPT after replacing IO::File
> method calls with the corresponding built-in operators (though that
> script doesn't create archives) so I may be able to hack one of the
> modules you suggested to work for me.  Archive::Tar looks like the
> safer bet.

My new plan is to use AppleScript's 'do shell script' command to
access the native tar program.  This plan has some limitations I'd
prefer to avoid (to wit, only works in Carbon on OS X) but it's good
enough for now, and it has the added bonus that OS X's
BOMArchiveHelper (which runs when you double-click the tarball) will
restore resource forks.  However, I suspect that OS X is required to
usefully extract it, so I will continue to consider my options.

In the meantime, I've uploaded an experimental release of Lamp.

http://lamp.sourceforge.net/experimental/

Josh