[perl #38899] nondeterministic perl floating point math

From:
Justin Palmer
Date:
April 11, 2006 14:12
Subject:
[perl #38899] nondeterministic perl floating point math
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-38899-132163.14.1462613943705@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Justin Palmer
# Please include the string:  [perl #38899]

Perlers,

I think this one is pretty self-explanatory.  I can't seem to
generate another number that this sort of problem happens with,
and I haven't looked harder to find out what other numbers this
happens to.  Any idea what's going on?  Bad machine language-perl
float interaction, I bet.

Thanks in advance for looking into this!

-Justin

$ perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.6 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

Copyright 1987-2004, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic
License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5
source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be
found on
this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have
access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl
Home Page.

$ perl -e 'print int(70.7/0.1)."\n";'