Re: Making IO::Socket pass test on Win32

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
April 3, 2006 10:58
Re: Making IO::Socket pass test on Win32
Message ID:
20060403175802.28757.3@llama.ing-simmons.net
Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> writes:
>On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, demerphq wrote:
>
>> On 3/31/06, Andrew Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> wrote:
>
>> > Config{d_fork} is the correct test to use to see if you have fork().  If
>> > a platform configuration system doesn't set d_fork correctly, I'd say the
>> > bug is in the configuration system.
>>
>> Hmm, but Windows doesnt have a fork, it fakes it, and it doesnt appear
>> to have this var set.
>
>When Windows fakes fork(), then I think it *should* have this variable
>set.

I disagree. Windows doesn't fake fork() in a POSIX sense at all.
Instead it makes perl's C<fork> operation do almost the right thing.
But it doesn't create a new process or new memory space or ...