Re: Make encoding lexical ?

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
April 1, 2006 12:48
Re: Make encoding lexical ?
Message ID:
b77c1dce0604011248p1705a24j1d234bdf1ebb2803@mail.gmail.com
On 4/1/06, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> Well, if I'm following the new implementation correctly it would work.
> Although I'd be tempted to add a regular hints bit (or at least a flag bit
> on the relevant ops) to say "there is something to find in cop_hints" as
> the lookup is linear and quite a few ops use PL_encoding.

That's a good idea. Also, I wonder whether we could use the cop_hints
to remove the need for cop_io. (And maybe cop_arybase, too. People who
set arybase don't deserve good performance :) only use a flag to say
"arybase is non-zero, look up its value in cop_hints".)

> We could keep ${^ENCODING} and make it hook through to reads/writes on
> %^H (and therefore the cop hints). I don't know if that reduces the module
> implementation forking issues.

Since $^ENCODING would be no longer global, I doubt so.