Re: revisited: pow.t test failures on AIX 5.1 perl588 with -Duselongdouble

From:
Dominic Dunlop
Date:
April 1, 2006 06:34
Re: revisited: pow.t test failures on AIX 5.1 perl588 with -Duselongdouble
Message ID:
FD0792E2-825C-4CB1-AC67-7C4CEF7153D9@mac.com
On 2006–03–31, at 00:53, John L. Allen wrote:
> Well, it's three+ weeks since I reported the powl() bug to IBM, and of
> course they have not provided a fix yet, so I was forced to write the
> following patch to pp.c.  Hopefully it conforms to everyone's patching
> standards - I did my best.  The extra code to make powl() work
> correctly
> is only compiled in when both USE_LONG_DOUBLE and
> HAS_AIX_POWL_NEG_BASE_BUG are set.

The patch applies with some fuzz and works for me on Mac OS X
bleadperl -- that is, it has no effect, which is as it should be.

> There is one other change I'd like to make: that is, to t/op/
> pow.t.  In
> order for it to be a able to uncover this problem, it needs to
> raise -3 to
> a power higher than 32.  Currently it tops out at -3**29 because of
> not
> wanting to produce a result greater than 2**48 for Cray's benefit.
> What
> is the best way to skip such higher power tests on a Cray?

The few tests that currently care about such issues specifically test
for $^O eq 'unicos' -- see t/op/arith.t, for example (where you'll
also see code to accommodate non-IEEE FP VMS).
--
Dominic Dunlop