Make encoding lexical ?

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
March 31, 2006 15:28
Subject:
Make encoding lexical ?
Message ID:
b77c1dce0603311528x35cdc2c1nc35b40516394bc80@mail.gmail.com
I haven't tried, but it should be possible now to make the encoding
and encoding::warnings modules lexical by replacing PL_encoding (aka
${^ENCODING}) by an element in %^H (at compilation) and by a lookup in
cop_hints (at run time) (if I'm following the new implementation
correcly.) This would introduce an incompatibility with 5.8, and this
would fork code of those modules, but this would also remove the large
caveats listed in their documentation.