Re: Making IO::Socket pass test on Win32

From:
demerphq
Date:
March 31, 2006 09:37
Re: Making IO::Socket pass test on Win32
Message ID:
9b18b3110603310936o25ec4647o3afc8291e2c9229d@mail.gmail.com
On 3/31/06, Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, demerphq wrote:
>
> > On 3/31/06, Andrew Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Config{d_fork} is the correct test to use to see if you have fork().  If
> > > a platform configuration system doesn't set d_fork correctly, I'd say the
> > > bug is in the configuration system.
> >
> > Hmm, but Windows doesnt have a fork, it fakes it, and it doesnt appear
> > to have this var set.
>
> When Windows fakes fork(), then I think it *should* have this variable
> set.  That is, I think the bug is in whatever writes Config.pm for
> Windows, not in the code checking for $Config{d_fork}.
>
> >                       So maybe Config{d_fork} is actually just telling
> > us there is a native level fork available?
>
> I wouldn't put too much stock in what its "actually" telling us, because
> it's just telling us whatever we told it to tell us :-).
>
> It seems to me that from the perl program's perspective, fork() should
> work if $Config{d_fork} is set.  No additional gyrations should be needed.

Ok, that makes sense too. And therefore I think this is one for the
pumpkings to decide.

But the fact remains that whether it gets fixed in newer perls or not,
its not going to help on the already existing installs.

Yves