Re: Making IO::Socket pass test on Win32

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
March 31, 2006 09:30
Re: Making IO::Socket pass test on Win32
Message ID:
Pine.SOC.4.62.0603311146040.28597@maxwell.phys.lafayette.edu
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, demerphq wrote:

> On 3/31/06, Andrew Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> wrote:

> > Config{d_fork} is the correct test to use to see if you have fork().  If
> > a platform configuration system doesn't set d_fork correctly, I'd say the
> > bug is in the configuration system.
>
> Hmm, but Windows doesnt have a fork, it fakes it, and it doesnt appear
> to have this var set.

When Windows fakes fork(), then I think it *should* have this variable
set.  That is, I think the bug is in whatever writes Config.pm for
Windows, not in the code checking for $Config{d_fork}.

>                       So maybe Config{d_fork} is actually just telling
> us there is a native level fork available?

I wouldn't put too much stock in what its "actually" telling us, because
it's just telling us whatever we told it to tell us :-).

It seems to me that from the perl program's perspective, fork() should
work if $Config{d_fork} is set.  No additional gyrations should be needed.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu