Re: UTF-8 caching code

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 30, 2006 23:30
Re: UTF-8 caching code
Message ID:
20060331093037.5e8dd3cd@pc09
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:01:29 +0100, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:50:48PM +0000, hv@crypt.org wrote:
> > Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> > :I think that it would be useful to have a command line (sub)flag to set
> > :${^UTF8CACHE} to -1, to allow easy debugging of scripts. Should this be an
> > :option on -C, or -D? Any suggestions?
> >
> > I don't think it allows any easier debugging of scripts, only of perl
> > itself. Assuming we have spares I'd go for a -D bit.
>
> We do, but I'm starting to think that it's inconsistent with all the other
> -D options. The other -D options set bits in PL_debug, PL_debug is tested
> at runtime by the relevant code, -D options can be usefully reassigned to
> at run time, and -D is only available if perl is compiled with -DDEBUGGING
>
> Whereas this is a flag to set the initial value of a different C variable,
> isn't going to be affected by subsequent runtime assignment of $^D, and is
> available even if perl isn't compiled with -DDEBUGGING.
>
> So it's starting to feel like something to add to -C

You've got my blessing on this, but I didn't comment before, since I didn't
have any arguments against -D :)
It's just my feeling that would make -C a more DWIM location

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.9.x  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,