Re: UTF-8 caching code

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
March 30, 2006 08:01
Re: UTF-8 caching code
Message ID:
20060330160129.GI32132@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:50:48PM +0000, hv@crypt.org wrote:
> Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> :I think that it would be useful to have a command line (sub)flag to set
> :${^UTF8CACHE} to -1, to allow easy debugging of scripts. Should this be an
> :option on -C, or -D? Any suggestions?
>
> I don't think it allows any easier debugging of scripts, only of perl
> itself. Assuming we have spares I'd go for a -D bit.

We do, but I'm starting to think that it's inconsistent with all the other
-D options. The other -D options set bits in PL_debug, PL_debug is tested
at runtime by the relevant code, -D options can be usefully reassigned to
at run time, and -D is only available if perl is compiled with -DDEBUGGING

Whereas this is a flag to set the initial value of a different C variable,
isn't going to be affected by subsequent runtime assignment of $^D, and is
available even if perl isn't compiled with -DDEBUGGING.

So it's starting to feel like something to add to -C

Nicholas Clark