Re: This Week on perl5-porters (20-26 March 2006)

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
March 30, 2006 06:30
Re: This Week on perl5-porters (20-26 March 2006)
Message ID:
craigberry-ED3A1A.08304130032006@x6.develooper.com
In article <442BC5EA.80307@landgren.net>,
 david@landgren.net (David Landgren) wrote:

> More on "Module::Build" on VMS
>
>    Ken Williams got back to Craig A. Berry's patch from last week for
>    "Module::Build" on VMS, and implemented a new approach to deal with
>    backtick captures. John E. Malmberg and Craig batted it around for a
>    while until it looked ready. John wrapped it up as a new version of
>    "ExtUtils::CBuilder". John noted that there might be issues with older
>    VMS versions that limit command lines to 255 characters, but decided
>    to punt the issue for the time being.
>
>      Looking good
>      http://xrl.us/km2x

I think we did resolve the ExtUtils::CBuilder issue, but since the VMS
port does not currently support the list form of piped open, Ken's
approach to backtick captures in Module::Build won't work on VMS.  Ken
expressed disappointment about being led down the garden path by the
perlfaq8 entry entitled "How can I call backticks without shell
processing?"  I suggested that for spawning one-liners we borrow from
the Test::* modules (or even t/test.pl); the approach there is less
elegant than what Ken was trying to do, but I think the platform
idiosyncrasies have been pretty well worked out and battle tested by
now.