[perl #21298] Perl SIGSEGV when applying regular expression to a long string

From:
Steve Peters via RT
Date:
March 29, 2006 10:28
Subject:
[perl #21298] Perl SIGSEGV when applying regular expression to a long string
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-21298-131667.7.97164454107424@perl.org
> [t-perl@snowelm.com - Tue Feb 18 18:59:00 2003]:
>
> This is a bug report for perl from t-perl@snowelm.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.34 running under perl v5.8.0.

> [Please enter your report here]
>
> The attached perl script, which applies a regular expression to
> a long string, causes Segmentation Fault on my Debian GNU/Linux
> system.
>
> Although the script contains some Japanese 2-byte characters,
> LANG environmental variable seems unrelated to the bug.
> Sorry for the lengthy example, but the length of the string
> seems important to cause the bug.
>
> Since the script is a part of a CGI script, it took a very
> long time to find out that the reason is perl SIGSEGV.  I'd
> appreciate very much if you could fix perl to display some
> error message rather than SIGSEGV.
> It is no need to provide a workaround for the bug to me,
> because I already have one.
>
> Thank you very much for developing Perl!
>
> Best regards,
> Makino Takaki

This problem appears to have been fixed with change #27598.

steve@kirk:~/smoke/perl-current$ perl test.perl
Segmentation fault (core dumped)