[perl #32041] SEGV with complicated regexp and long string

From:
Steve Peters via RT
Date:
March 29, 2006 09:48
Subject:
[perl #32041] SEGV with complicated regexp and long string
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-32041-131663.17.9104837650267@perl.org
> [zefram@fysh.org - Wed Oct 20 13:36:58 2004]:
>
> Robert via RT wrote:
> >This sounds like the the well known regex recursion & stack issue.
>
> I've seen the stack overflow due to backtracking records, in several
> circumstances.  This problem with the long string doesn't look like that.
> Note that the extremely long string is required even though the regexp
> execution can't possibly get past the first few characters, and that the
> code in unexecuted parts of the regexp affects the result.  Neither of
> these features resembles the stack overflow problems that I've seen.
> Also, as I pointed out, it's not affected by stack size.

Based on the fact that this regexp is still core dumping, another issue
is involved here.  I'd include the backtrace, but

"/home/steve/smoke/perl-current/core" is not a core dump: File format
not recognize

Hmmm...Hate!