Re: how should %^H work with lexical pramas

From:
hv
Date:
March 29, 2006 02:45
Re: how should %^H work with lexical pramas
Message ID:
200603291054.k2TAs6i29235@zen.crypt.org
demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
:On 3/28/06, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
:> Logically, it seems, the way to go is to add something to make accesses of %^H
:> at run time report the state of the compile time lexical pragmata. %^H should
:> therefore be read only at runtime.
:
:Im a little confused about why %^H needs to be read only at run time.

You snipped too much from Nick's email: immediately after the quoted para
it says:

:Except that this doesn't work. One scope's compile time is another scope's
:runtime.

.. and later it continues:

:I think there are actually two hashes, or things-with-a-hash-interface
:that need to exist. A read only thing that reflects the hints in force
:at the time of compilation of this statement, [and] a read/write thing
:which reflects/affects the compilation of the immediate lexical caller,
:if they are in compile time and we're in run time.

The discussion is how to make accessible the first of these two hashes,
without losing access to the second.

Hugo