fixing 'Your Makefile has been rebuilt.' tedium

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 25, 2006 07:06
Subject:
fixing 'Your Makefile has been rebuilt.' tedium
Message ID:
20060325150825.GE20717@iabyn.com
For a while now I've been irritated by the fact that 'make'
after a small change to a perl src file triggers all extentions to get
rebuilt too, with messages like

    Writing Makefile for attrs
    ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
    ==> Please rerun the make command.  <==

This is due to the extensions' makefiles having a dependency on
lib/Config.pm, which is rebuilt each time miniperl is updated.

With change #27603, configpm now only rewrites the two files
lib/Config.pm and lib/Config_heavy.pl if they would have changed.
(Actually, if *either* file has changed, it updates both of them.)

I've also added some documentation the the file, and added a retropective
copyright header.

--
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you
take into account Hofstadter's Law.