develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2006

Re: This Fortnight on perl5-porters (6-19 February 2006)

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
February 24, 2006 18:20
Re: This Fortnight on perl5-porters (6-19 February 2006)
Message ID:
43FFBECC.8050901@NevCal.com
On approximately 2/24/2006 5:00 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Glenn Linderman:

> On approximately 2/24/2006 3:13 PM, came the following characters from
> the keyboard of Jan Dubois:

>>> that is a stunning revelation. Anyone for adding this cumbersome
>>> method to pp_link?
>>
>> I already did this back in 1999. It only works on NTFS and it requires
>> the process to have at least "Backup and Restore" privileges, but it has
>> been in Perl since 5.6.0.
>
> Oh!  Some of my comments on the other thread then, were misconceived.  I
> had no idea that you actually implemented the link ability; I had no
> idea it was available via Perl; I thought that you were only supporting
> the ability to correctly report on links created via Posix subsystem.
>
> Does it work for files only, or also directories?  And on Unix hard
> links on directory are somewhat frowned upon, what about on NTFS?

OK, I did more research and can answer this one.  Hard links are only
available in NTFS for files, not for directories.  In versions of NTFS
shipped with Windows 2000 or newer, there are also junction points,
which are (effectively) softlinks for directories.

Of course, this begs the question of whether or not ActivePerl supports
symlink for directories, on such filesystems...

Both the Active Perl User Guide, and perlport say not...

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/