develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2006

perl@27284

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 23, 2006 15:42
Subject:
perl@27284
Message ID:
20060223234214.GX48272@plum.flirble.org
It's time for a maint snapshot

    http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-27284.tar.bz2

This is basically 5.8.8 + two uninitialised C variable fixes + the missing bit
of PERL_DONT_CREATE_GVSV + all the table driven code for
sv_upgrade/clear/dup

So it should be smaller and faster. On x86 FreeBSD with -Os the perl
executable is now smaller than 5.8.1 (threaded and unthreaded. However,
unthreaded is only 200 bytes smaller than 5.8.8, which confuses me because
sv.o is 4k smaller. (Which is 4k less code in sv_upgrade and sv_clear ALONE.
Which can't be that bad, given that sv_upgrade features in the top 5 of some
profiles). Happily the threaded build is 4k less than 5.8.8.

The main reason we're smaller that 5.8.1 isn't actually these changes. 5.8.8
was already a lot smaller than 5.8.7 thanks to Dave Mitchell's work on the
warnings macros.

Next to merge is Steve and my work on mathoms. A lot of code duplication was
identified and removed, so I'm hoping that this will bring further size
savings.

Nicholas Clark