develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2006

$$$ MAKE perl FAST $$$

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 22, 2006 09:40
Subject:
$$$ MAKE perl FAST $$$
Message ID:
20060222174023.GR48272@plum.flirble.org
The Perl Foundation has awarded me a grant to work on various parts of Perl 5
for the next 3 months:

http://news.perlfoundation.org/2006/02/2006_q1_grant_votes.html

The plan is to do the following for blead

* GV and CV structure shrinking
* Merge Larry's tokeniser changes
* Complete lexical pragmas

the following may make it back to 5.8.x

* Saving the regular expression engine state
* Reblessing references interacts badly with overloading

and the following that should make it back to 5.8.x

* Relocatable Perl binaries
* Error handling in constant folding
* Make the UTF-8 caching code optional, and more flexible
* Ensure that IPv6 support is complete
* Convert the @INC source filter to Filter::Simple
* Reviewing complex changes for integration to 5.8.x
 * Migrate pack "W" changes to 5.8.x
 * Fix bug 3038 in 5.8.x
 * magic and localisation
* $0 changes and PAR
* Systematic problems with UTF-8 and overloaded stringification
* Taint, UTF-8 and Tk

It's actually a bit scary, publicly committing to do stuff in defined time.
Particularly as the payment is based on results not effort.
We'll see how good my estimates are...

Anyway, if you think that TPF making grants for this sort of thing is good,
vote with your wallets at

  https://donate.perlfoundation.org/index.pl?node=Contribution%20Info

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as TPF is a 501(c)(3) organisation, then if
you're a US taxpayer, the more you pay, the more money the IRS is deprived of.
Think how much you love them, and then make them appropriately poorer.

Better still, save money by getting someone else to vote with their wallet.
Such as your boss, or your company.

If you don't think that this sort of thing is a good idea, I'm sure there are
plenty of other organisations that would love to convince you that you can
have a warm fuzzy feeling from donating money to them to further their works.
Here's a completely contrived non-representitive selection:

  http://www.anthonynolan.org.uk/index.php?location=3.5		*
  https://wwws.rnib.org.uk/donation.php
  https://www.rnlipdd.org.uk/donations
  http://www.kleinbottle.com/
  https://www.billpayment.co.uk/hmrc/scripts/nrpaynow.asp	**

Nicholas Clark

*  ( although I think that really they don't want money, or even blood, but
     bone marrow (preferably male)
     http://www.anthonynolan.org.uk/index.php?location=3.1 )
** as in http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Beatles/Taxman.html