develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2006

Re: [perl #38307] make clean with 5.8.8-RC1

From:
Andrew Dougherty
Date:
January 23, 2006 08:33
Re: [perl #38307] make clean with 5.8.8-RC1
Message ID:
Pine.SOC.4.62.0601231129480.6360@maxwell.phys.lafayette.edu
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 05:56:36AM -0800, Fergal Daly wrote:
> > # New Ticket Created by  Fergal Daly
> > # Please include the string:  [perl #38307]
> > # in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
> >

> > I decided to change some config params (run Configure -D prefix=...
> > -d) and recompile. I cancelled the recompile very soon into it and
> > typed
> >
> > make clean
> >
> > but that sent it into more compilation. So it looks like the clean
> > target depends on something that causes compilation. Transcript of
> > make clean output below,

That could well be.  The 'clean' target has never been documented for just
such reasons.  I'm not sure if it really does anything useful. The only
two targets documented as being useful in the INSTALL file are 'realclean'
and 'distclean'.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu