develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2005

Re: XS-assisted SWASHGET (esp. for t/uni/class.t speedup)

From:
Steve Peters
Date:
November 30, 2005 08:34
Re: XS-assisted SWASHGET (esp. for t/uni/class.t speedup)
Message ID:
20051130163429.GA22290@mccoy.peters.homeunix.org
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 03:38:58PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 05:02:02PM +0900, SADAHIRO Tomoyuki wrote:
>
> > This patch will
> > (1) remove lib/utf8_heavy.pl#utf8::SWASHGET,
> > (2) move universal.c#XS_utf8_SWASHGET_heavy into utf8.c#S_swash_get,
> > (3) patch up S_swash_get and Perl_swash_fetch,
> > (4) remove codes for DEBUG information from S_swash_get,
> > (5) add a line for S_swash_get to embed.fnc,
> > (6) correct a line for S_utf8_common in embed.fnc ('s' vs 'p'),
> > (7) and modify some comments about SWASHGET in utf(8|ebcdic).h.
>
> (8) fix an obscure bug inadvertently added by the previous patch (that I wasn't
>     even aware of until last night).
>
> Notably, you commented out save_re_context because now the code was XS code,
> there was no use of regexps while within the regexp engine. This is true,
> unless the perl debugger is in use. It gets called back to during the XS
> code, uses regexps, and corrupts the match state held in "global" regexp vars.
> (For "global" read per-thread)
>
> I'm not sure how many of these debugger issues remain. I've just fixed one
> set with 26228, which I think also solves a bug reported sometime this year,
> a bug I currently can't find.

Two bugs look suspicious.

#37144: Data crash when executing substitution on the Perl debugger
#36428: Problem with the debugger with conjunction to Encoding

Steve Peters
steve@fisharerojo.org