develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2005

Patch to Data::Dumper?

From:
Ovid
Date:
October 3, 2005 12:59
Patch to Data::Dumper?
Message ID:
20051003195924.9076.qmail@web60811.mail.yahoo.com
Hi all,

If you're familiar with Data::Dumper::Simple, you know that you can do
stuff like this:

  warn Dumper($foo, @bar);

And get this:

  $foo = 'stuff';
  @bar = (
    3,
    17
  );

Unfortunately, that requires a source filter.  I've figured out how to
do that without a source filter
(http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/26973).  Instead of uploading
Data::Dumper::Names, I thought a patch to Data::Dumper would be nice.
Unfortunately, this requires that PadWalker be shipped with the core or
have the module warn that PadWalker is not installed and fall back to
its normal behavior.

I figured I should ask if such a patch would be considered before doing
this.  I assume that the use of PadWalker means "no", but just in case
... :)

Cheers,
Ovid