develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2005

CPAN index bug? 2 different IO-Prompt's in CPAN, DConway's newversion ignored

From:
David Dyck
Date:
October 2, 2005 22:34
Subject:
CPAN index bug? 2 different IO-Prompt's in CPAN, DConway's newversion ignored
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.62.0510021958330.22355@dd.tc.fluke.com

There are 2 different IO::Prompt distributions on CPAN.

Searching for IO::Prompt selects
     CPAN_USERID  AUTRIJUS (Autrijus Tang <autrijus@autrijus.org>)
     CPAN_VERSION 0.02
 	our $VERSION   = '0.02';
I should be more specific
   perl -MCPAN -e shell
   cpan> i /IO::Prompt/
     or
   cpan> look IO::Prompt
selects the above "older" module (probably based on info from Metadata file).
 	    ( 02packages.details.txt.gz also contains
 	      IO::Prompt  0.02  A/AU/AUTRIJUS/IO-Prompt-0.02.tar.gz )

There is a newer version in the DCONWAY folder as
   IO-Prompt-0.99.2
 	$VERSION = qv('0.99.2');

(it is interesting and __CONFUSING__ that the web CPAN search tool
   http://search.cpan.org/dist/IO-Prompt/
  finds the newer module
  http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/D/DC/DCONWAY/IO-Prompt-0.99.2.tar.gz

The CPAN Metadata file only mentions A/AU/AUTRIJUS/IO-Prompt-0.02.tar.gz

Is there something wrong with the CPAN indexer?

Why does the web CPAN search tool http://search.cpan.org return
different results that the perl core CPAN module?

  David

I was able to fetch the "correct" version with the cpan command
  look D/DC/DCONWAY/IO-Prompt-0.99.2.tar.gz

What needs to be done to get
  look IO::Prompt
     to fetch the right version, especially noting that we get a warning
     when the older version is fetched:

     Warning: No md5 checksum for IO-Prompt-0.02.tar.gz in /home/dcd/.cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AU/AUTRIJUS/CHECKSUMS.

     The cause for this may be that the file is very new and the checksum
     has not yet been calculated, but it may also be that something is
     going awry right now.