develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 2005

[perl #37144] Data crash when executing substitution on the Perl debugger

From:
Steven Schubiger via RT
Date:
October 2, 2005 04:39
Subject:
[perl #37144] Data crash when executing substitution on the Perl debugger
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-37144-121866.1.80465046864057@perl.org
> [manabe - Mon Sep 12 00:21:47 2005]:
> # Here is a sample code for what's happening
> for ($i = 0; $i < 10; ++$i) {
>  $temp = "\x{100}X";  # X is an arbitrary character; \x{100} is an
> arbitrary character over \x{100}
>  $temp =~ s/[^X]+//;  # data crash on the second (or so) iteration
> when run on the debugger
>        # or sometimes the Perl itself crashes;
>        # or sometimes it simply do nothing (no replacement)
>        # It's quite unpredictable.
> }

This is likely to be a Windows related bug, as I could not reproduce
it with Perl-5.8.5 - 5.8.7 nor with Bleadperl on OpenBSD 3.6 with
more than a dozen runs per each version.