develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Re: Pls Review: File::System::Spec

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
September 30, 2005 10:55
Re: Pls Review: File::System::Spec
Message ID:
20050930175506.GA10314@windhund.schwern.org
On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 12:25:04PM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> >The current interface is good enough for the default filesystem, I
> >guess, but you should  be able to ask about a specific file system,
> >e.g.:
> >
> >	my $x = File::System::Spec->new(File::Spec->catfile(.. the path
> >	...));
> >
> >	$x->case_tolerant; # asks about the filesystem hosting the path
>
> I envisioned that this module would be for setting or reading
> properties, so a 'new' method does not seem to fit in with that.

A new definately fits in because there is more than one file system on a
system, thus more than one object.  Starting out from scratch with the
assumption that there is only one filesytem to worry about deliberately
cripples the interface.

And if nothing else it means you don't have to write File::System::Spec
over and over and over and over again.

> And I expect that more methods to expose properties of file systems will
> end up being added to this module as the maintainers of other platforms
> add their contributions.

I think we need to coordinate because I already have started this module,
too and I have a *really* good idea of the sorts of things I need to know.
http://svn.schwern.org/svn/CPAN/File-System-Spec/trunk/lib/File/System/Spec.pm

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Hating the web since 1994.