develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

error messages in cpan w/readline in 5.8.7...(?)

From:
Linda W
Date:
September 29, 2005 17:08
Subject:
error messages in cpan w/readline in 5.8.7...(?)
Message ID:
433C81EF.5020603@tlinx.org
When I start cpan, it complains about valid entries in my
.inputrc -- that are valid for BASH's use/version of readline:

# cpan
Undefined value assigned to typeglob at (eval 17) line 15, <RC> line 6.
Warning [/home/user/.inputrc line 6]:
  Invalid variable `expand-tilda'
Undefined value assigned to typeglob at (eval 17) line 15, <RC> line 7.
Warning [/home/user/.inputrc line 7]:
  Invalid variable `mark-symlinked-directories'
Undefined value assigned to typeglob at (eval 17) line 15, <RC> line 11.
Warning [/home/user/.inputrc line 11]:
  Invalid variable `history'
Undefined value assigned to typeglob at (eval 17) line 15, <RC> line 13.
Warning [/home/user/.inputrc line 13]:
  Invalid variable `keymap'
Undefined value assigned to typeglob at (eval 17) line 15, <RC> line 16.
Warning [/home/user/.inputrc line 16]:
  Invalid variable `quoted-insert'
Undefined value assigned to typeglob at (eval 17) line 15, <RC> line 17.
Warning [/home/user/.inputrc line 17]:
  Invalid variable `tab-insert'
Undefined value assigned to typeglob at (eval 17) line 15, <RC> line 20.
Warning [/home/user/.inputrc line 20]:
  Invalid variable `page-completions'
cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support enabled
cpan>
--------------------------

Prior to my rebuilding 5.8.7 perl I didn't get these errors.

I am on a SuSE9.3 based system that had perl-5.8.6.  I rebuilt
the perl RPM using their .spec file and their patch file to setup
their default compile configuration and file locations, so as to
be as compatible as possible with their previous releases.

I can "get-around" the problem by unsetting my INPUTRC env
variable before starting CPAN, but what's changed?  Why did
I not get similar errors under the suse-built 5.8.6?  How'd
I manage to screw up my 5.8.7 build, or is it even 'perl'
related...?  cpan?

Unexplained mysterious behaviors in computers bother me...I know,
I shouldn't be bothered by such, I grew up during an age when
computers were not so complex that they were understandably
deterministic.  But somewhere along the line, I think they've
crossed the point of complexity where 1 person can't understand
why everything happens on a computer -- not that they can't
find out, but by the time they do, the next release will probably
be out and everything will have changed.  :-/

-linda