develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Re: Building modules before perl is installed?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
September 29, 2005 10:48
Re: Building modules before perl is installed?
Message ID:
20050929174811.GA4132@windhund.schwern.org
On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:02:36AM -0700, Kean Johnston wrote:
> I am trying to set up a nightly build of Perl and several
> CPAN modules. Ideally, this should not require that the
> Perl I have just build be installed on the build system,
> since the build system may be running a different version
> of Perl.

There is a mechanism in the build process to allow Perl to fetch and install
CPAN modules during its build process.  See "Adding extra modules to the
build" in INSTALL.

> With that in place I try to build a module. For example,
> Compress-ZLIB. I do it thus:
>
> cd Compress-ZLIB-1.40
> $perl Makefile.PL
> make test
> make install DESTDIR=/packages/perl/perlext
>
> The problem is that $perl Makefile.PL is failing. It is
> failing becuase "MakeMaker could not find blahblah/CORE/perl.h"

All that "blahblah" is there for a reason, such as diagnosing your error.

> I'm pretty sure I am on teh right track, I just need to
> figure out how to convince MakeMaker to look  in my
> /packages/perl/perl/usr/lib/perl5 directory rather than
> in teh installed location. Can anyone offer some insight
> into how to do this?

Read teh MakeMaker documentation on "Determination of Perl Library and
Installation Locations".  Use teh PERL_SRC argument to let MakeMaker know
where teh Perl source is.

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
'All anyone gets in a mirror is themselves,' she said. 'But what you