develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Building modules before perl is installed?

From:
Kean Johnston
Date:
September 29, 2005 10:02
Subject:
Building modules before perl is installed?
Message ID:
433C1E2C.7050006@armory.com
Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up a nightly build of Perl and several
CPAN modules. Ideally, this should not require that the
Perl I have just build be installed on the build system,
since the build system may be running a different version
of Perl.

I installed the newly-compiled perl with:
   make install DESTDIR=/packages/perl/perl

When I install modules I want to install with:
   make install DESTDIR=/packages/perl/perlext

The I have a script:
BPDIR=/packages/perl/perl/usr/lib/perl5
BEDIR=/packages/perl/perlext/usr/lib/perl5

PERL5LIBDIR=${BPDIR}/5.8.7:${BPDIR}/site_perl/5.8.7
PERL5LIBDIR=$PERL5LIBDIR:${BEDIR}/5.8.7
PERL5LIBDIR=$PERL5LIBDIR:${BEDIR}/site_perl/5.8.7
export PERL5LIBDIR

PATH=/packages/perl/perl/usr/bin:$PATH
export PATH

perl=/packages/perl/perl/usr/bin/perl

With that in place I try to build a module. For example,
Compress-ZLIB. I do it thus:

cd Compress-ZLIB-1.40
$perl Makefile.PL
make test
make install DESTDIR=/packages/perl/perlext

The problem is that $perl Makefile.PL is failing. It is
failing becuase "MakeMaker could not find blahblah/CORE/perl.h"

I'm pretty sure I am on teh right track, I just need to
figure out how to convince MakeMaker to look  in my
/packages/perl/perl/usr/lib/perl5 directory rather than
in teh installed location. Can anyone offer some insight
into how to do this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Kean