develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Re: Pls. Review patch@25626 - VMS::Filespec update.

From:
John E. Malmberg
Date:
September 28, 2005 22:18
Re: Pls. Review patch@25626 - VMS::Filespec update.
Message ID:
433B78F1.70201@qsl.net
Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:44:15PM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
>>>So I guess what I'm saying here is I'm happy to code to the lowest common
>>>denominator, or there is no intersection to do things like "if this
>>>system has feature X, do Y".  What I do not want is "if this *VMS* system
>>>has feature X, do Y."
>>
>>Unfortunately I can see no way to avoid the check for an OS name and
>>then if there then is an OS setting and maintain backwards compatibility
>>with older Perls where that OS setting was not even considered as a
>>possibility.
>

> Put the logic in a module.  Put the module on CPAN.
>
> And this part is really my fault.  I've been meaning to write
> File::System::Spec and Operating::System::Spec for a long time now to allow
> easy answers to just these sorts of questions.
>
> It would wrap up the implementation details of discovering this information,
> such as calling VMS::Filespec.

I tried building a File::System::Spec based on how File::Spec was set up
  to expose the methods that I needed.

I got something wrong.  In Functions.pm, File::System::Spec->can is not
able find any of the methods in the module.

But if I put in a method that I added to the Filespec.pm module, it
returns an answer, and I can not figure out what I did wrong.

x File::System::Spec->can('vms_unix_only')
0  CODE(0x5e9158)
    -> &VMS::Filespec::vms_unix_only in 0

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.net