develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Re: Pls. Review patch@25626 - VMS::Filespec update.

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
September 28, 2005 10:11
Re: Pls. Review patch@25626 - VMS::Filespec update.
Message ID:
20050928171137.GB26789@windhund.schwern.org
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:36:40PM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> So then the VMS related choices for the lib/test/simple/t/create.t would be:
>
> A. Re-write it to avoid the VMS specific issue, like the patch that you
> posted earlier does.

Ahh, except it wasn't a VMS specific issue.  It was automatic, mandatory,
exclusive write locking (something not exclusive to VMS, I think Win32 does
it) and a perl bug with buffering.  I didn't have to add in any more code,
its a basic cross-platform compat issue.

So I guess what I'm saying here is I'm happy to code to the lowest common
denominator, or there is no intersection to do things like "if this
system has feature X, do Y".  What I do not want is "if this *VMS* system
has feature X, do Y."

Again, without seeing the actual changes to the non-VMS modules I can't
really judge.  Could you post them?

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
You are wicked and wrong to have broken inside and peeked at the