develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Re: Pls. Review patch@25626 - VMS::Filespec update.

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
September 28, 2005 00:04
Re: Pls. Review patch@25626 - VMS::Filespec update.
Message ID:
20050928070341.GA24349@windhund.schwern.org
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:55:47AM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> From my tests on Perl 5.8.7, the modules that need to be changed to test
> for the existence of these new methods and if they are defined to act on
> the results are:

Just looking at that list of modules that need VMS-specific code, without
even knowing what has to be changed, leaves me feeling its untenable.  Folks
can't be expected to put in that much platform specific code, particularly
a platform most people don't have access to and cannot test against.  If
this is just for the core, I'd hate to see what would be necessary for CPAN.

There's got to be a better way.

What sort of patching is necessary to take into account the new VMS::Filespec
work?  Can it instead be done by making File::Spec smarter?  Is it simply
adding more VMS hacks to work around older VMS hacks?

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Hating the web since 1994.