develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Pls. Review patch@25626 - VMS::Filespec update.

From:
John E. Malmberg
Date:
September 27, 2005 21:56
Subject:
Pls. Review patch@25626 - VMS::Filespec update.
Message ID:
433A2253.1020708@qsl.net
CPAN is showing Nicholas Clark as the maintainer of VMS::Filespec, and
the comments are showing Charles Baily as the maintainer.

This adds the methods needed for other Core modules to properly
interpret VMS file specifications.

Also included is an update to the documentation for the existing routines.

The file vms/ext/filespec.t includes tests for the new methods
that are intended for use by most modules for when they become live.

The decc methods are there mainly just in case I need them, because they
mostly affect VMS Filespec operations.

When and if this becomes accepted, I will have updates for several core
modules that need to test for how VMS is currently configured to behave,
and make sure that the existing behavior is preserved before I change
vms.c to make these new methods live.

 From my tests on Perl 5.8.7, the modules that need to be changed to test
for the existence of these new methods and if they are defined to act on
the results are:

lib/Cwd.pm
lib/FindBin.pm
lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm
lib/ExtUtils/Manifest.pm
lib/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm
lib/ExtUtils/MM_VMS.pm
lib/File/Temp.pm
lib/File/Spec/VMS.pm
lib/Pod/Perlvms.pod
vms/perlvms.pod
ext/Cwd/t/cwd.t
ext/File/Glob/t/basic.t
ext/POSIX/t/posix.t
lib/AutoSplit.t
lib/blib.t
lib/FindBin.t
lib/h2xs.t
lib/ExtUtils/t/Command.t
lib/File/Spec/t/crossplatform.t
lib/File/Spec/t/Spec.t
t/op/defins.t

I will probably need some help with the best way to have these modules
check for the mode that VMS is currently in.

I am currently assuming that any non-VMS use of VMS::Filespec will want
to see the older VMS behavior returned for the new methods for testing
purposes, and not want to have it simulate the setting of the various modes.

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only