develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Re: [TODO] rewrite Math::Complex' Complex.t to use Test::More

From:
Fergal Daly
Date:
September 26, 2005 06:59
Re: [TODO] rewrite Math::Complex' Complex.t to use Test::More
Message ID:
8750299605092604437dd75944@mail.gmail.com
On 9/26/05, Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhietaniemi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 11:43:30AM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> >
> >>Someone else than me :-) should rewrite the test to use more
> >>modern testing frameworks.  Note: large parts of the current
> >>test are "data-driven", I have no experience on how well e.g.
> >>Test::More suits that, if it doesn't (I am thinking of useful
> >>reporting of failures: where to say that the failure happened
> >>if all you've got is a loop reading the __DATA__?) this might
> >>open up a place to enhance Test::More, too.
> >

> > You can use diag() and the test name to give the extra information, or you
> > can just continue to print it out with a leading #.  In most cases the extra
> > diagnostics will not be necessary because Test::More's failure diagnostics
> > already give you that information.  For example...
>
> What I would want to see in case of failures would be e.g.
>
> not ok 123
> #   Failed test in Complex.t at line 56, <DATA> line 1234.
> #          got: '1+2i'
> #     expected: '1+i'
>
> because the relevant input data would be at 1234, not at 56.

When I write data driven tests, I either embed unique names for the
tests in the data or I generate the names based on the data. In this
case you could have test names that include the DATA line number and
maybe the operation that was being tested,