develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2005

Re: [TODO] rewrite Math::Complex' Complex.t to use Test::More

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
September 25, 2005 22:04
Re: [TODO] rewrite Math::Complex' Complex.t to use Test::More
Message ID:
43378149.7090106@gmail.com
Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 11:43:30AM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>
>>Someone else than me :-) should rewrite the test to use more
>>modern testing frameworks.  Note: large parts of the current
>>test are "data-driven", I have no experience on how well e.g.
>>Test::More suits that, if it doesn't (I am thinking of useful
>>reporting of failures: where to say that the failure happened
>>if all you've got is a loop reading the __DATA__?) this might
>>open up a place to enhance Test::More, too.
>

> You can use diag() and the test name to give the extra information, or you
> can just continue to print it out with a leading #.  In most cases the extra
> diagnostics will not be necessary because Test::More's failure diagnostics
> already give you that information.  For example...

What I would want to see in case of failures would be e.g.

not ok 123
#   Failed test in Complex.t at line 56, <DATA> line 1234.
#          got: '1+2i'
#     expected: '1+i'

because the relevant input data would be at 1234, not at 56.