develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2005

pp_negate

From:
Unknown Sender
Date:
July 28, 2005 23:36
Subject:
pp_negate
Message ID:
20050729063613Z1184578-6566+348@kps9.test.onet.pl
I see three problems with this function:

1. [#36674] -undef results in -0.0 rather than the expected 0.
This is probably easy to fix, but I don't know if undef is the only value for which (!SvIOKp(sv) && !SvNOKp(sv) && !SvPOKp(sv)).

2. [#36675] Strings starting with '-' or '+' are treaded as strings, even when they represent numbers. Now I doubt this should be changed, but at least it should be clearly documented in perlop and probably perltrap. (imagine someone extracts numbers with a regular expression or split, and expects "-100" to be treated the same way as "100")

3. There is some special treating of UTF-8 strings: they can be prefixed with '-' even when they don't start with an "identifier first" character.
I was unable to provoke this behavior in practice, who knows how to do that?