develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2005

Re: What's holding up mainperl from upgrading MakeMaker?

From:
John E. Malmberg
Date:
Re: What's holding up mainperl from upgrading MakeMaker?
Message ID:
42E4114B.9080508@qsl.net
Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 12:58:57PM -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>
>>At 4:27 PM +0100 7/23/05, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>>
>>>However, VMS is currently failing to build even miniperl, due to its C
>>>compiler being more stringent about const consistency than anything else
>>>on the planet.
>>
>>It's the same compiler as the Tru64 compiler, but the default options
>>on the build tools reflect the assumption that all warnings will be
>>fixed before proceeding.
>
> Wow, it treats warnings as errors?  That's... ummm-- can you turn that off?

It is MMK/MMS that treats the warnings as errors.

I usually run with a higher level of warnings enabled on the compiler.
That way it finds other errors, including "legal" code that has a high
probability of having a bug.

>>I'm testing a patch against blead that should get it building again.

Craig,

Please look at the descrip_mms.template patch that I just sent along.
With out it, the debug listings on VMS are not very useful.

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only