develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2005

perlfunc sez crypt() encrypts... but it doesn't.

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
July 23, 2005 13:08
Subject:
perlfunc sez crypt() encrypts... but it doesn't.
Message ID:
20050723200849.GA4078@windhund.schwern.org
crypt() doesn't really encrypt, it hashes or digests.  Yet perlfunc/crypt
talks about encryption.  This seems misleading.  I discovered this while
explaining that passwords aren't stored encrypted, they are hashed.  This
not-encryption is done with the crypt() function--erk.

So I think it makes sense for the crypt docs to stop saying it encrypts.

I'm no expert in cryptographic terminology, can anyone confirm or verify this?

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
You are wicked and wrong to have broken inside and peeked at the