develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2005

[perl #9720] threads::shared and perlthrtut: Update to give example of object

From:
Michael G Schwern via RT
Date:
July 14, 2005 01:34
Subject:
[perl #9720] threads::shared and perlthrtut: Update to give example of object
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-9720-117309.1.38819188365325@perl.org
> [perl58@dev1.ridas.co.uk - Sun Jun 23 02:21:24 2002]:
>
> Having tried to share objects by writing stuff along the lines:
>
>   my $a : shared = new FOOBAR;
>
> It took a posting to comp.lang.perl.misc before I realised the error
> of my ways:
>
>   my $a = new FOOBAR;
>   share($a);
>
> I don't think the threads::shared and perlthrtut docs make this clear
> enough -
> folks coming to ithreads from Java etc are going to finds things a bit
> odd to
> begin with.
>
> SOLUTION: More examples in the docs please, esp. regarding object
> sharing. Also
> maybe trim down some of the general threading info in perlthrtut with
> more
> focus on perl threads and how to use them idiomatically.

threads::shared and perlthrtut still lacks this additional documentation.