develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2005

[perl #1844] FindBin fails if all directories in cwd are not readable

From:
Michael G Schwern via RT
Date:
July 12, 2005 19:32
Subject:
[perl #1844] FindBin fails if all directories in cwd are not readable
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-1844-117117.15.3642760621181@perl.org
> [mneme@io.com - Wed Dec 01 06:23:20 1999]:
>
> Possible solutions:
> 	Fix Cwd::abs_path(), so it doesn't do that.  Possibly, rather
> than warning and returning, it should use fast_abs_path() instead,
> which should handle warnings if they need to be given.
> 	Alternatively, have FindBin use a fallback if abs_path()
> fails.

I am unable to replicate this behavior on OS X using 5.4.5 or 5.5.4.  As
the implementation of Cwd::abs_path() changes on different operating
systems I cannot be sure this bug does not still exist.

Can you tell us what operating system you were using, and version of
Perl?  Can you also try this out on a newer version of Perl?