develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2005

[perl #23098] core dump -> "perl in malloc(): error: recursive call"

From:
Steve Peters via RT
Date:
July 12, 2005 19:06
Subject:
[perl #23098] core dump -> "perl in malloc(): error: recursive call"
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-23098-117095.16.0390907849066@perl.org
> [g_a_b@nm.ru - Wed Jul 23 08:17:50 2003]:
>

> Hello!
>
> i want to consult with you about strange
> behavior of perl v5.6.1 on FreeBSD 5.1 beta.
> may be something is wrong ... with perl or with me =)
>
> i wrote a small mail proxy which listens connections
> from local network and redirects clients to outside.
> this proxy forks 2 processes: first for writing queries
> from local client to outer mail server, second for
> writing queries from outer mail server to local client.
> i think it is ordinary. this scheme is simple and it works,
> but ... but sometimes it all dumps with 'perl.core' and error
> like this 'perl in malloc(): error: recursive call', but all
> processes are still alive. there is no any regularity in this dumps.
> i don't think that this errors are because of me. may be kernel?
> or may be perl? please help me to solve this problem!
>
> ps.
> the _same_ code in C (POSIX is POSIX =) works great,
> of course with out any dumps.
>
> pss.
> if you don't want to look into this, please tell me
> where i can know more about my problem.

We're happy to look into core dumps more deeply.  Can you please provide some sample
code to replicate the problem, or possibly, a backtrace of the coredump?