develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2005

Storable error

From:
Lewis Foster
Date:
January 28, 2005 15:09
Subject:
Storable error
Message ID:
5.1.1.6.0.20050128170259.048b81e0@10.1.2.13
All --
         I am using Storable to freeze variables before writing them to a
database table in a project that I am working on.  However, this project is
written using PerlEx so it is multi-threaded.  I am running into a problem
when attempting to use freeze() on an array (though I have not actually
attempted this with other data structures).  I am running Perl 5.8.6 (build
811) with Storable 2.13.  I have written a small sample script that causes
the error (this works fine when run as a .plx script from the command line:

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#test.pl

use strict;
use Storable;
use Data::Dumper;

MAIN: {

my $test = [
                 'test',
                 'set',
                 'of',
                 'data',
                 'stored',
                 'into',
                 'an',
                 'array',
                 'with',
                 'Storable'
                 ];

my $frozen;

eval {
         $frozen = Storable::freeze($test);
         };
if($@) {
         print("Storable Error: $@\n");
         }
else {
         print("Frozen value: Dumper($frozen)\n");
         }

} # MAIN()
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

         When this is run using PerlEx through IIS, however, I get some
very strange behavior.  Half the time the IIS process on my computer simply
locks up and must be restarted.  The other half of the time, I get the
following error:

Storable Error: syntax errorCompilation failed in require at
D:/Perl/lib/AutoLoader.pm line 92.
  at ..\..\lib\Storable.pm (autosplit into
..\..\lib\auto\Storable\freeze.al) line 266

         I am hoping that you may have some idea as to why it would be
failing.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
         D. Lewis Foster

Quote:
An excerpt from an actual Nanotechnology Physics book....
"We will use molecular technology to bring health because the human body is
made of molecules. The ill, the old, and the injured all suffer from
mis-arranged patterns of atoms, whether mis-arranged by invading viruses,
passing time, or swerving cars."
David Lewis Foster
Programmer
Public Consulting Group
1700 Kraft Dr. Suite 2250
Blacksburg, VA 24060
Virginia Tech Graduate
Computer Science
LFoster@pcgus.com
Office: (540) 953-2330 x13
intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this