develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2005

Having problems with Storable

From:
Rossing, Jennifer
Date:
January 28, 2005 15:08
Subject:
Having problems with Storable
Message ID:
67C0A7BD9AAF714C8A33B986DF5738C4B5B02D@cmaexch01.csg.csgsystems.com
Hi,

I'm very new to perl so please be gentle.

I'm trying to build the Storable module, version 2.0.6, on an HPUX 11.11 PA RISC 2.0 machine, with Perl 5.8.2.  I'm getting it to compile just fine but one of the tests is failing in the make test step.

If I run /tmp/.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZpErLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZperl/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(1, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/downgrade.t

from the Storable 2.06 source directory (which would be the root directory when make test is run), I get an error on the test for the Locked hash placeholder.  If I execute the same test from within the t directory itself I get no errors at all, oddly.

In detail, the problem is that an extra hash key/value pair is getting put into the hash, or read from the hash, that's used in the Locked hash placeholder test.  The hash itself originally consists of just one pair- key perl with value rules.  When that hash is thawed for the Locked hash placeholder test, it comes out as 2 pairs- or rather, a pair and a half: key perl with value rules, and key rules with no value.  At this point the test checks the hash against the expected hash, discovers that indeed it's not what it should be (should just be the one pair), and everything bombs with an error like this:

#     Failed test (t/downgrade.t at line 197)
not ok 77 - And it is the hash we expected?
#          got: 'Modification of non-creatable hash value attempted, subscript "rules" at t/downgrade.t line 196, <DATA> line 30.
# '
#     expected: ''

I'm not familiar enough with hashes or perl to understand what's going on but it seems like the thaw isn't working correctly in this case.  Is there any known problem with Storable 2.0.6 on HPUX 11.11?  Why would this work fine within the t directory?  I checked @INC- it's using explicit paths, not relative, in all its values...

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.  Assume I'm clueless- because I am, I've never programmed in Perl, only built installations of it a few times.
Thanks so so much!

Jen